Saturday, December 03, 2005

Hollywood Obits

On June 10, 1971, I realized I was going to die.

We all make that realization eventually, of course, but I had managed to live into my mid-thirties without really thinking much about it; embracing that often-cited childhood conceit that I was immortal. But that day it all changed, and I remember it quite clearly.

I was living in Manhattan and on my way to work when I saw the article in the New York Post. Michael Rennie, one of my favorite actors had passed away. I had followed his career casually for twenty years, dating back to The Day the Earth Stood Still, a film I still count among the very best science fiction flicks ever made.

And although I never knew him personally, I felt a sudden sense of shock, of loss – a feeling that, somehow, the world had diminished in a way I’d never expected it to. His films remained, and in that way he was frozen in time and I could enjoy his work again and again.

Since then I’ve relived that experience with other actors quite a few times, and always, as with the passing of my close friends and relatives, comes the sense of loss, of a whole world slipping farther and farther into the hands of the bland and talent-challenged. Gradually, bit by bit, little pieces of my own past seemed to be chipping off. Jack Soo died in 1979. William Holden in 1981. This list goes on.

I am adding this to my blog simply because that old feeling came home to roost once again recently, with the death of Pat Morita, and I am sure other film aficionados must have had a similar experience.

I want you to know you are not alone.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mortality dawned on me on my 30th birthday. I went to bed for a week. I kept thinking... well, Woody Allen said best, "What have I gotten myself into ths time?"

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good-girl-turned-bad Britney Spears has topped an eclectic list of the net’s most popular searches
n the run-up to Christmas. The popstar,who hit the headlines last week for stepping out
“commando” with her new best friend Paris Hilton,has helped revealed exactly what the internet
savvy are looking for from their stars - the thick and the dead.

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home